Friday, May 27, 2011

Our pets

We have three pets; Sammy, the cat; Beau, the Golden Retriever; and Tate, the Pomeranian. They all get along great...well, Tate thinks he is ruler over all. We found all of them through Craigslist ads.

Sammy, short for Sam-I-am, came to our family first. He was 12 weeks old and still nursing from his mama kitty. He was born into a family that handled him from the very start of his life. He is the most laid back, non-aggressive cat I've ever had. Shortly after we got him, he was hit by a car and went missing for a day. We thought he was a goner when he didn't show up in the morning as usual. When he finally did, he was a mess. He ended up losing one of his fangs on the top, but he gained a respect for danger that has kept him safe ever since.

Tate, short for Tater Tot, came to us out of the blue. I was not all that interested in getting a dog - I wanted another cat. I guess I got a bit of both in Tate. He was about 12 weeks old when we got him. When I saw the posted picture of this little fluff ball I had to check him out. On the drive out to Tacoma, I questioned my sanity, but when I saw him I just fell in love. He came with some eye health issues that were easily resolved with surgery - expensive but well worth it. We knew he was smart when he learned to ring a bell to be let outside to do his business. He barks too much, licks too much, and begs too much, but life wouldn't be the same without him. Every morning he wakes Andrew up by licking him and jumping all over him. Andrew loves it. I wish I had that on video - it is the cutest thing ever.


Beau, short for Beaumont, came to our family when he was about 4 years old (we changed his name from Scooby). We had had a Golden in the past named Lacy and just loved the breed. He is well trained and polite and the perfect dog. He absolutely loves walks and if you say the word "walk" he goes crazy, so we had to start saying "w". I think he is learning what that means, too. If he wants you to pet him he comes up and pushes against you or gives a long, deep growl and nudges your hand. When my dad comes to visit, which is often, he brings Beau a milk-bone - I think my dad likes him a lot.



Our neighbors have some fun pets, too. These horses live right across the street from us. Pets are great for lifting the spirits. I love my pets and can't imagine life without them.


1 comment:

Heather said...

I love your pets too, they take the greatest photos too.

I miss...

There are days when seeing a picture or video of him makes me smile for the memories and then some when I can't stop missing him.   ...