I just ate the best hamburger I’ve ever had. Let me tell you about this
wonderful hamburger. It came in
the form you’d expect it to be, except it was half of a hamburger. It was delivered to me although I
didn’t order it and never expected it.
As I ate this burger, I got tears in my eyes, not because it was so good
(it was a fine burger), but because the person that delivered it to me is.
Garrett and I bought the property next door to Ray and Sandy
Singer about 17 years ago while we were pregnant with Andrew and living with my
parents. It had a tiny house and
the land was oversaturated with water.
Over the years we tore down that tiny house, built our home, improved the property, and raised our family. Sandy and I got to know each other pretty well while we were out
gardening, sharing ideas on gardening, planting things together, enjoying BBQ’s
and parties together, even sharing each other’s complaints and fears in
life. She has always been a good
listener. We also share similar
interests, like gardening, crafting, and knitting, and get together to
participate in group crafting days and retreats.
Several years ago, she invited me to go with her to a yarn
shop and then lunch at her favorite burger place. She raved about this one burger place and wanted me to come and
split one and enjoy it with her.
I joined her and we had a great time – the burger was fantastic,
too! We’ve done this maybe a
couple more times together, and through the years, she has done something else so
thoughtful, I had to write it down and share it.
All of us, at one time or another, feel alone and are
depressed about something. I’ve
always been able to work through those feelings by keeping busy or doing
something for someone else. Since
Garrett’s death I’ve had a difficult time working through feelings of
loneliness and depression no matter what I do. People from all over have been kind and send their thoughts
and love and I’m grateful for that.
I know I am loved as I love others – that’s a good feeling. Today I had half a hamburger that was
literally the exemplified thoughts of someone that cares. I could hardly swallow it down as the
emotions of gratitude welled up in my chest from realizing that over the years,
in her very quiet way, Sandy has loved me in such a beautiful way. This wasn’t the first half-hamburger
she had delivered to me. Just
about every time her and her husband have gone out to enjoy a hamburger at this
place, she has remembered me and has unexpectedly brought me half a burger. I never expect anyone to go out of
their way for me, so this has always been surprising to me. She’s handed it to me with a gleeful smile (especially if it's a new kind and she wants a review), she's left it with Andrew for me, and because I wasn’t dressed today, she left it on my
porch for me to get it in privacy.
It’s that good of a burger and she’s that good of a friend.

No comments:
Post a Comment